March 09, 2005

‘roid rage

If you are not a sports fan, you might be unaware of the controversy over steroids that has surrounded major-league baseball for many months. Leaked grand jury testimony from a criminal investigation and the usual informed whispers have fueled the pervasive sports punditry up until now. Enter stage Right the United States House of Representatives Committee on Government Reform who announced that they will be holding hearings investigating steroid abuse in the big leagues.

When asking himself the pre-emptive question of why the need for Congressional hearings, chairman of the committee, Tom Davis, evoked several of the standard Vote For Me symbols wishing to shine a light in the darkness and of course protect our children. As sad as that sop was, he went on to add, “We can help kids understand that steroids aren’t cool.” I wish the committee well in that endeavor because I think that convincing teenage boys that a muscular physique is “uncool” is a grand undertaking indeed.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that perhaps this might not be the best use of the time of our Congressmen?

Laying aside these silly nits, there is a real problem that does need addressed. Steroids are a dangerous thing and like other illegal drugs, they are making their way into the hands of children far to young for society to have any expectation of a reasonable risk/reward analysis on their part. I certainly agree that a program of communication to young people is desirable and justified, but I can not help but wonder if this is not a more appropriate matter for the Surgeon General than the Committee on Government Reform. It sounds like the Reform Committee is overdue a bit of self-examination.

Of course we all know that the truth is that like most of what poses as legitimate legislative activity in the hallowed halls of congress lately, these hearings are intended primarily to be attention getters for the politicians. In elementary school, we called it mugging for the camera. When describing the behavior of our Congressmen, we should just call it embarrassing.

A while back, in an attempt at making some suggestions that could help with the embarrassment that is called our public school system, I called for the removal of sports from our schools in order to help the institution focus on the actual objective of educating. Perhaps the same treatment is in order for our nation as a whole. It is hard to believe that Congress can be this distracted when as a nation we face challenges the magnitude of international terrorism, nuclear missiles in the hands of depots, and an impending meltdown of our health care system. I’m sorry, but as much as I love watching sports, I find the possibility of the end of Western civilization a more compelling topic.

We should be telling Congress to collect autographs on their own time because they have work to do.

But we love our diversions and really, it is hard these days to tell political discourse from sport anyway. The testimony of some of the biggest names in sports before the Congress will undoubtedly attract the approving attention of Americans who care more about who did what to whom than the substantive health concerns. We will be treated to seeing Davis and Henry Waxman preening before the cameras all the while knowing that their media show will not produce anything more than the ongoing criminal investigation is calculated to determine.

And while we are distracted, terrorists will have more time to exploit our exposed borders, North Korea will move a bit closer toward another nuclear tipped missile, and we will waste yet more precious resources into the entropy of an irrational health care system. Perhaps it is naïve to expect more of our leaders and our citizens than this, but one can always hope. Hope that the façade of genuine concern crumbles off of the Capitol Building. Hope that some of those watching The Show will notice that nothing is actually happening.

On the other hand, maybe not.

Play ball!

8 Comments:

Blogger Tony Plank said...

I almost did not write on this subject just because of this result. Everybody pretty much agrees. Not too much controversy here I'm afraid.

For the record, I'm not a baseball fan myself either, though I do find myself a bit more interested than when I was younger.

On a side note, there is no need to **** out profanity here. While I don't really encourage it either, I think we are all adults. I don't censor and have trouble imagining the post that would cause it. I suppose if something were profane AND pointless I'd perhaps consider censoring if it were anonymous-but I doubt it.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Tony Plank said...

I almost did not write on this subject just because of this result. Everybody pretty much agrees. Not too much controversy here I'm afraid.

For the record, I'm not a baseball fan myself either, though I do find myself a bit more interested than when I was younger.

On a side note, there is no need to **** out profanity here. While I don't really encourage it either, I think we are all adults. I don't censor and have trouble imagining the post that would cause it. I suppose if something were profane AND pointless I'd perhaps consider censoring if it were anonymous-but I doubt it.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Richard Hartman said...

Mr. Plank said: “there is no need to **** out profanity here.”

But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. (Col.3:8)

P.R. Dept.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Tony Plank said...

On Filthy Language

Lets be clear here since I’ve been called out. I don’t ENDORSE bad language, but I’ll tolerate it. Big difference.

It is my fervent belief that only a free exchange of ideas is useful. Once you start editing, that is a slipper slope that leads to a stunted debate and lack of interest. It is also a matter of common sense. The offensiveness differential between “go to Hell” and “go to H#*L” is exactly zero.

I think it is more mature to just recognize that even the puritans let a colorful metaphor rip from time to time and just move past it. For the most part obscenities detract from one’s argument so anyone using them does so at their own peril. To me, that is the real limit on inappropriate language: embarrassing one’s self by diminishing or nullifying the argument. In other words, feel free to salt your language, but do so at your own peril.

Lastly, I would add that I am amazed how often this topic seems to come up in our society. Seems a bit trivial to me, but at continuing theme nonetheless.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Tony Plank said...

Saurav said, “…nothing that comes out of this Congress could possibly be good, makes me Thanks God Almighty that they're choosing to waste their time with this.”

Here, here! I have said this often over the last decade or so. Everybody lamented deadlock, but not I. Congress has become worthless. Unless there is some radical change of substance in the institution, inaction is far more satisfactory than action. And in the final analysis, that is an extraordinarily sad state of affairs.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Tony Plank said...

Andrew,

I pretty much agree. I grew up around a lot of legalism. Got my mouth washed with soap over “darn it”. What amazes me is that there are a lot of things far more offensive than “obscenities” that we deal with every day. Ill-mannered behavior by drivers in traffic comes to mind. Bring back thoughts about the hardest working boob in showbiz.

If I were empowered to make choices about suitable content for television, I’d take some bare boobs long before things like Jerry Springer and Girl’s Gone Wild paid television promotions. We are really stupid how we approach obscenity.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Richard Hartman said...

Sorry to derail the topic. Just a quick interjection of scripture. It was either relevant or not.

Re: Steroids.

Of course the reason we don’t want ‘roids is fairness. It’s not fair to give some one a chemical advantage over another. So we ban them within the sport to level the playing field.

What about areas that don’t demand fairness?

My brother said about a decade ago that we ought to have an all-drug Olympics. Let’s see what chemicals and stupid dedicated people can do. In addition to the NFL and AFL, we could have the ADFL (All Drug Football League).

And what about the military? Imagine an infantry made up of muscle-bound men with attitude problems.

Prof. Ricardo

8:45 AM  
Blogger Tony Plank said...

Prof,

Well, I really don’t care one way or another about steroids in terms of whether they should be allowed in sports or not. Actually, I care a bit because I suppose they are setting patterns that youngsters will follow. Clearly, I think their use should be legal regardless of what the leagues decide. Regardless, in the real world they are going to be used and policing what should be permitted (or not) is futile.


CG,

Well, as I have said often, I disagree that California got it “right”. Right would mean that the state is not involved in sanctioning any religious institution.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home